Thursday, 19 July 2012

Fire sparks electrical warning

On 18th July at 9.23pm, East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service responded to a fire in a three-storey property on Oak View Main Road, Icklesham, between Hastings and Rye.
                    
Two fire engines were dispatched from The Ridge, Hastings and Rye fire stations. When crews arrived, they found smoke issuing from the three-storey domestic property.

Crews used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to tackle the blaze in the first floor bedroom. Two more engines from The Ridge and Rye were dispatched to the scene along with the Incident Command Unit from Bexhill.

Crews used six breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and a compressed air foam system to quickly bring the fire under control.

Crew Manager, Daniel Burnett said: “The fire is believed to be accidental caused by an electrical appliance. Always unplug appliances when you’re not using them or when you are going to bed. Unplugging appliances helps reduce the risk of fire. You can help protect your home and your family by having a working smoke alarm and ensuring you check it regularly. It could save your life.”

How to avoid electrical fires:

  • Always check that you use the right fuse to prevent overheating.
  • Make sure an electrical appliance has a British European safety mark when you buy it.
  • Certain appliances, such as washing machines, should have a single plug to themselves, as they are high powered.
  • Try and keep to one plug per socket.
  • An extension lead will have a limit to how many amps it can take, so be careful not to overload them to reduce the risk of fire.
  • Be on the look-out for signs of dangerous wiring such as scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow or circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reasons, or flickering lights.
  • Check and replace any old cables and leads, especially if they are hidden from view – behind furniture or under carpets and mats.
  • Unplug appliances when you’re not using them or when you go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment