A worried neighbour contacted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service after hearing a smoke alarm sounding.
Moments later smoke was seen issuing from the detached property in Kings Ride, Alfriston, on 2ndMarch at 5.09am.
Immediately, five crews from Seaford, Eastbourne and Hailsham were sent to the incident, along with the Incident Command Unit from Lewes.
Initially, there were fears that there could have been someone inside the property but this proved to be unfounded.
The fire, which started in the ground basement of the property, was well established when crews arrived. The fire, which severely damaged the property, is now under investigation.
Firefighter Michelle Woolridge said: “A working alarm can give you the vital time needed to escape in a fire and in this instance alerted a neighbour. Test your smoke alarms regularly and never remove batteries to power presents.”