Thursday, 22 August 2013

Kitchen fire tackled overnight in Brighton



Firefighters have used breathing apparatus to tackle a kitchen fire overnight in Brighton.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service received a call at 02.19 on 22nd August 2013.

Crews from Preston Circus and Hove attended a flat at Regency Square and put out the fire using a hose reel.

Paramedics were called to assist a woman who was suffering from the effects of smoke.






Cooking safety advice:
  • Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob.  Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
  • Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
  • Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
  • Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
  • Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
  • Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
Barbecue safety advice:
  • Enjoy yourself, but don’t drink too much alcohol if you are in charge of the barbecue.
  • Never leave a barbecue unattended.
  • Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste.
  • Keep a bucket of water, sand or a garden hose nearby for emergencies.
  • Follow the safety instructions provided with disposable barbecues.  Never use a barbecue indoors or in a tent.
  • Never use petrol or paraffin to start or revive your barbecue; use only recognised lighters or starter fuels on coal.
  • Empty ashes onto bare garden soil, not into dustbins or wheelie bins.  If they’re hot, they can melt the plastic and start a fire.
 Deep fat frying advice:
  • Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.
  • Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
  • If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot.  Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
  • Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer.  They can’t overheat.
 What to do if a pan catches fire:
  • Don’t take any risks.  Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so.  Never throw water over it.
  • Don’t tackle the fire yourself – Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999.
Kitchen electrical advice:
  • Keep electrics (leads and appliances) away from water.
  • Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order.  A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment