Monday, 12 August 2013

Smoke alarm saves young boy



A young boy owes his life to a working smoke alarm after escaping a serious bedroom fire at a house in Lewes.

Firefighters were called out yesterday (11th August) morning at 9.40am to the property in Highdown Road, following reports of a fire.

The teenager was woken by the smoke alarm sounding and managed to escape.

Firefighter Paul Kitching said: “The boy’s room was severely affected by the fire and if it wasn’t for the alarm going off the outcome could have been very different.

“This just goes to show that smoke alarms do work and save lives. Remember in the case of a fire always get out, stay out and call the fire service out.

“Crews were quickly on the scene and able to prevent further fire spread throughout the rest of the building and save a family from having to move out of their home due to fire and smoke damage.”

Two fire engines from Lewes and Brighton attended and remained at the incident until 1.39pm. Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and tackled the fire using firefighting foam.

The 14-year-old boy was taken to hospital via ambulance, as a precautionary measure and the Fire Victim Support Unit was on hand to support the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment