Thursday, 21 November 2013

Chimney fire prompts safety reminder from firefighters

Firefighters from Battle were called out last night at 20.17 (20 November 2013) to reports of a chimney fire.

They attended a home in Kane Hythe Road in Battle.

A chimney kit and triple extension ladder were used.

There are no reports of injuries.


Safety reminder

We know that many residents in East Sussex and Brighton and Hove City have open fires in their homes. If a chimney fire is left unattended, it can spread into the rest of the house but there are some easy ways to reduce the chances of your chimney catching alight.
  • Have you had your chimney checked recently? Make sure you plan to do this on a regular basis (we have further advice below) and check that chimneys and flues are kept clean and well maintained. We know that there are costs involved in checking chimneys but the investment is worth it to keep you, your loved ones and your neighbours safe.
  • Have you got a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers? If not, buy one now. They can prevent furnishing and clothing catching alight as well as keep people in the room safe.
  • Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
  • Have you checked your air vents and air bricks are clear of blockages? You should never do anything which will stop or interrupt the air supply.
  • Is your furniture a safe distance away? Do not be tempted to sit too close. Your clothing could catch alight.
  • Have you got a mirror about a fire? You should move this and any other items which might encourage people to stand too close to the fire.
  • Always use a good quality fuel.
Read more advice on our website here: www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment