Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Don’t forget the dangers of carbon monoxide



With winter fast approaching, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is calling for members of the public, landlords and businesses to remember the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.

We’re supporting a new drive by charity CO Awareness to keep people safe.

It is launching a new phone app and website to mark the start of its 8th National  Carbon  Monoxide Awareness Week (18 November 2013)  Find out more at www.covictim.org/ 

Symptoms

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, highly poisonous gas that can kill in minutes. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be caused by ANY fuel that burns or smoulders.

Watch out for the symptoms:

  • Mild headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue
  • Drowsiness

Protect yourself

Get a service – all appliances which use charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG) need to be serviced every year.

Free checks for gas appliances – if you are over pension age, disabled, chronically sick and receiving pension credit or council tax benefit or housing benefit, you can probably get a free Gas Safety check from your energy supplier. (See the back of their bill.)

Landlords and tenants - if your home is rented then your landlord must provide a Gas Safety check every 12 months.

Advice on where to put your alarm

Fit an alarm in the right place and make sure it works. Remember an alarm is no substitute for getting appliances properly installed and checked.

a) The alarm must be above the line of any doors or windows in the room.
b) The alarm must be 1 to 3 metres away from the appliance.
c) If mounted on the wall it must be a minimum of 150mm down from the ceiling.
d) If mounted on the ceiling it must be a minimum of 300mm away from the wall.
e) The alarm must not be sited in any permanently damp areas unless this is allowed by the
manufacturer.
f) If there is a partition in the room the alarm should be located on the same side of the partition as the appliance.
g) Alarms located in rooms with sloping ceilings should be sited at the highest point of the ceiling

Where alarms are located in sleeping rooms or rooms remote from the appliances they should be located just below but relatively close to the breathing zone of the occupant and between the occupant and the appliance.

Find out more about carbon monoxide on our website: http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/carbonMonoxide.shtml


No comments:

Post a Comment