Saturday, 14 December 2013

Emergency cover provided throughout Saturday's strike


Emergency cover will be provided throughout a further strike by the Fire Brigades Union today (Saturday 14th December) between 6pm and 10pm. While we will not have as many crews on duty as a normal day, we will respond to emergencies, prioritising those where lives are at risk. If you do have a fire, get out, stay out and dial 999.

Please take extra care during this evening, particularly if you are driving, cooking at home or putting up the decorations. And if you enjoy a night on the town, don't be tempted to cook when you get back home.


It's also a good to check that your home is as safe as it can possibly be.

Safety advice for the home

  • Fit smoke alarms on each floor in your home, keep them dust-free, and test them once a week. Consider buying a ten-year alarm; otherwise change the batteries every year.
  • Take special care when you are tired or when you've been drinking. Most domestic fires happen between 10pm and 8am.
  • Make an escape plan so that everyone in your home knows how to escape in the event of a fire.
  • Keep the exits from your home clear of obstructions so that people can make their escape if there is a fire. Make sure that occupants can find keys for doors and windows easily.
  • Take care in the kitchen - accidents while cooking account for 59% of fires in the home. Never leave young children unsupervised in the kitchen.
  • Take extra care when cooking with hot oil; if you don't use one already, consider buying an electric thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer.
  • Never leave lit candles unattended and ensure that they are in a secure holder on a heat-resistant surface away from flammable materials.
  • Don't overload electrical sockets. Remember one socket - one plug.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
  • Don't leave the TV or other electrical appliances on standby as this could cause a fire. Always switch it off and unplug it when not in use.
  • Ensure cigarettes are stubbed out and disposed of carefully and never smoke in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment