The first of three FBU strikes takes place today, Christmas Eve, between 7pm and midnight. We will continue to respond to emergencies during the strike, particularly those where lives are in danger, but we need members of the public to take extra care particularly given the difficult weather conditions.
Further strikes in the FBU’s ongoing dispute with the Government over pensions take place as follows:
- New Year’s Eve 6.30 pm – 12.30 am
- Friday 3rd Jan 6.30 am – 08.30 am
With the possibility of further wet and windy weather over the festive period, please take extra care on the roads and near the sea and flood water and keep an eye on Met Office weather warnings.
Whether you are spending Christmas at home, with family or friends:
- Make sure there is a working smoke alarm on each floor of your house and that you know how to get out safely.
- Take care with candles, never leave them unattended and snuff them out properly.
- Take extra care in the kitchen and don’t cook after you’ve had a festive tipple - half of accidental house fires start while cooking.
- Always switch the Christmas lights and other appliances off before going to bed.