The most recent was at 00.01 this morning (27th January) at a home on Common Lane in Laughton. The caller stated that a chimney fire had burnt a hole in the roof. Smoke was reported in the area and on arrival crews from Uckfield confirmed a fire in the roof space. They used two breathing apparatus and hose reel jets, before cutting away and damping down. The roof was sheeted up.
On Saturday 25th January 2014, crews were called to reports of two chimney fires: Uckfield firefighters went to one at Blackboys Inn on Lewes Road in Blackboys at 10.28 and another at 09.12 at a home on East Way in Lewes which Lewes firefighters attended.
On Sunday, two reports of chimney fires were received: one at 11.13 on the High Street in Rotherfield, which Crowborough firefighters attended, and one at 19.50 on Windermere Crescent in Eastbourne which Eastbourne crews attended.
There are no reports of injuries at any of the incidents.
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Ensure good quality fuel is used
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
Further safety advice can be found at www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml