Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Fire Service issues warning on dangers of disregarded netting



Every year thousands of birds and animals are injured when they become trapped in netting and East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service are urging local residents to be aware of the potential dangers of disregarded netting. 

Crews have been called to two recent operational incidents involving birds who have become trapped in netting, prompting a reminder to the public that if you have netting on or near your premise, it needs to be maintained, repaired or removed safely. 

Netting should always be disposed of carefully as animals are very easily trapped when it is left lying on the ground and birds are very vulnerable to becoming caught in netting that is left on the top or the side of buildings. 

Trevor Weeks MBE founder of East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Animal Service (WRAS) said: “Once a bird is caught and the owner of the building is made aware, then the bird is classed as captive and the Animal Welfare Act comes into force. As a result, you could be committing an offence.

Netting can be a very efficient way of stopping birds gaining access or preventing roosting but frequently we see the wrong size netting being used, or netting that is badly erected or not maintained. This is a real hazard to wildlife and birds.”

Mark O’Brien, Acting Director of Response and Resilience said,  On occasions, the fire service may be called to these types of incidents when requested to do so by partner agencies,
due to the bird being in distress. Whilst local fire crews are deployed to these types of incidents, they are not available to carry out important community safety work.
  
“If you have netting on your property therefore, please ensure any damage is quickly repaired and regular checks are performed to reduce the risk to wildlife and the need for Fire Service involvement in these types of incidents.”

Garage fire, Barcombe Mills



On 29th April at 4.13pm, Lewes crews attended a garage fire in Barcombe Place, Barcombe Mills. The incident involved one 3kg propane cylinder.

Crews extinguished the fire and the cylinder was cooled. One hose reel jet was used.

Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Prepare for the Fire Brigades Union strikes this Bank Holiday

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is calling on people to do a bit of spring cleaning to make sure everyone stays safe around the home and reduces the risk of fire.

It comes ahead of three strikes by members of the Fire Brigades Union this Bank Holiday in their dispute with the Government over pensions.

These will take place on the following dates:

  •  2nd May 2014 from noon until 5.00pm
  • 3rd May 2014 from 2.00pm until 2.00am on 4th May
  • 4th May from 10.00am until 3.00pm

Get cleaning!

Smoke alarms may not work properly if they are dusty. Friends, family and neighbours might be able to help if you can't safely reach up and test it yourself. A working smoke alarm on each floor in your house can give you valuable time to get out if there is a fire.

Get rid of clutter which might get in your way if you are trying to escape. Plan how you would get out and make sure you keep that path clear.

Clutter in the kitchen can be dangerous too. Accidents while cooking account for over half of fires in the home so reduce the risks by keeping ovens clean, toasters free of crumbs and tea towels away from hobs.

If you have access to the internet, further advice is available on the East Sussex Fire and Rescue website www.esfrs.org or calling us on 0303 999 1000 and asking for the Community Safety team.

If the worst happens and you do have a fire - please get out, stay out and call 999. We will respond.



Monday, 28 April 2014

Firefighters tackle fire in Brighton

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called at 12.07 today (28 April 2014) to reports of smoke coming from a window of a property in Brighton. There were also reports that people were inside.
 
Crews attended the address on Ditchling Road.
 
SECAmb (ambulance) crews were also called out.
 
On arrival firefighters discovered there was a fire in a kitchen on the first floor.
 
They used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to tackle the fire.
 
A baby was given medical treatment by paramedics and then the baby and a woman were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Saturday, 26 April 2014

Fire at home in Crowborough

Firefighters were called out at 16.46 on 25 April 2014 to reports of a fire in Crowborough.

Crews found a fire in a first floor bedroom at the property in Crowborough Hill.

They used breathing apparatus and a CO2 extinguisher to tackle the fire.

Firefighters called out to Eastbourne shop

Firefighters were called out yesterday (25 April 2014) at 18.06 to reports of a fire at a shop in Eastbourne.

Crews attended the premises on Green Street and discovered the fire was in the rear office of the property.

They used a hose reel, a main jet and a thermal imaging camera as well as PPV fans to clear the smoke.

An ambulance was requested for a man and a woman suffering from shock.

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Strike action prompts safety warning from fire service



Strike action prompts safety warning from fire service

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is calling on businesses and members of the public to take extra precautions ahead of a strike by the Fire Brigades Union.

FBU members will walk out on the following dates in their dispute with the Government over pensions:

·         2nd May 2014 from noon until 5.00pm
·         3rd May 2014 from 2.00pm until 2.00am on 4th May
·         4th May from 10.00am until 3.00pm

Chief Fire Officer and Chief Executive Des Prichard said: “We are ready to provide cover during the strike action. Crews made up of non-FBU members and retained firefighters will respond to emergencies - giving priority to those where lives are at risk.

While we are committed to doing all we can to protect those who live and work, the level of cover will be reduced and so we need your help to stay safe.

Businesses should check their fire safety measures and homeowners can do simple things like check their smoke alarms and taking extra care while cooking.

Our advice remains the same if you do have a fire, get out, stay out and dial 999. ”

Safety advice can be found at www.esfrs.org

Top five tips for homeowners

1.    Fit smoke alarms on each floor in your home, keep them dust-free, and test them once a week.
2.    Take care in the kitchen - accidents while cooking account for more than half of fires in the home. Never leave young children unsupervised in the kitchen.
3.    Watch out when you are tired or when you've been drinking. Most domestic fires happen between 10pm and 8am.
4.    Make an escape plan so that everyone in your home knows how to escape in the event of a fire.
5.    Ensure cigarettes are stubbed out and disposed of carefully and never smoke in bed.

Advice for businesses

Ensure that you are up to date with the requirements of current fire safety legislation and in particular:
Have a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment, which has:
·         Identified sources of ignition and fuel and have eliminated, reduced, isolated, and controlled them as far as is reasonably practical.
·         Produced an emergency plan.
·         Ensured that employees know about the risks present in the workplace.
·         Ensured that they know what to do in the event of an emergency.

Maintained the premises and any fire related facilities, equipment and devices

Businesses can find out more on our You Tube video:

Wake up to the deadly risk – Smoking is the biggest house fire killer



Smokers are being warned that they must wake up to the deadly dangers of smoking as East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service highlights that smoking is the single biggest killer in accidental fires in the home, often because of behaviour such as smoking in bed or not taking care after drinking alcohol.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is reminding smokers to ‘Put it Out, Right Out’ whenever they light up; to install smoke alarms on every level of the home; and to test them regularly. Without a working smoke alarm you are much more likely to die in an accidental fire in the home.

Community Safety Team Manager, Steve Wright, said: “More people die in fires caused by smoking than in fires caused by anything else.

“Every smoker should wake up to the risks they take every time they light up, never smoke in bed, especially under the influence of alcohol or if they’ve taken prescription drugs.

“The risk of falling asleep before you ‘put it out, right out’ is just too great. Just two to three breaths of toxic smoke can render you unconscious, so invest in a working smoke alarm. It can give you the extra time you need to escape if the worst should happen.”

These simple steps can help prevent a cigarette fire in the home:

  • Never smoke in bed. Take care when you’re tired – it’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight
·         Have you ensured that children can’t get hold of any matches or lighters in your home? You can also buy child resistant versions.
  • Are you using proper ash trays? They should be made of something which won’t catch alight and won’t tip over if accidentally knocked.
  • Be careful smoking when under the influence of alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape. 
  • Put it out, right out!  Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999
  • Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they burn down