East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service contingency crews have responded to a number of emergencies during the latest industrial action by the Fire Brigades Union.
FBU members were on strike between 5-7pm today (17 July 2014) as part of the pensions dispute with Government.
Our contingency crews attended the following:
* reports of a fire in the open at Hampden Park in Eastbourne - crews extinguished a fire which had been started as a controlled burn of tree stumps
* reports of a fire in a residential property in Eastbourne - there had been a small kitchen fire and crews ventilated the area to clear the smoke
* reports of a fire in the open in Seaford - a chemical toilet was alight in a garden
Weekend and late night strikes to come
Members of the public are being asked to remain vigilant as further strikes take place, particularly if they are out and about. We are expecting very different weather conditions over the coming days - with sunshine on Friday and possible storms on Saturday. This could make driving conditions difficult.
There are also strikes late at night on Friday and Saturday. Anyone enjoying a night on the town is being asked to take extra care, to grab a takeaway instead of cooking when they get home and to make sure they put out any cigarettes properly before going to sleep.
• July 18th 2014 between 0600hrs and 0800hrs & 2300hrs and 0100hrs (19 July)
• July 19th 2014 between 1100hrs and 1300hrs & 2300hrs and 0100hrs (20 July)
• July 20th 2014 between 1700hrs and 1900hrs
• July 21th 2014 between 0600hrs and 0800hrs & 1700hrs and 1900hrs