Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Safety warning after mirror sparks fire in Mayfield

A mirror caused a fire at a house in Mayfield which was discovered after smoke was seen issuing from the upstairs window.

Crews from Mayfield and Crowborough were sent to the property in Vale Road at 3.10pm yesterday (8 July).

The small fire was started by sun reflecting in the mirror proving that fires can happen anytime, anywhere and when you least expect it.

On this occasion, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within minutes by 3.27pm and a thermal imaging camera was used to check for any further pockets of fire.

Fires started by reflected sunlight is not as uncommon as many may think. Our firefighters often attend incidents where the sun’s rays have been reflected by mirrors, spectacles, paperweights or plastic items which have caused flammable objects placed nearby to smoulder and sometimes catch fire.

In East Sussex we have attended around 20 similar incidents in the past four years and it is a common problem seen by other fire and rescue services. These incidents tend to occur in rooms with south facing windows and, paradoxically, are more common in autumn and winter when the sun is lower in the sky.

For further examples of these types of fires please check out our ESFRS Black Museum website pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment