Monday, 1 December 2014

Kitchen fires in Lewes and Brighton prompt safety reminder

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is calling on people to take extra care in the kitchen following a number of fires in recent days.

The Service was called at 04.38 on the morning of 29 November 2014 to reports of a kitchen fire.

Crews from Preston Circus and Roedean attended an address on Meeting House Lane.

They tackled a fire in a third floor kitchen using breathing apparatus and a hose reel.

Later that day at 17.50, crews attended an address in Ladies Mile Road in Brighton. There had been a small fire in a kitchen at a flat which was out on arrival.
 

The following day, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a kitchen fire in Lewes at 17.09 (30 November 2014).

Crews from Barcombe and Lewes attended an address on St Johns Terrace.

They again used breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to put the fire out.

Cooking safety advice


There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen.
  • Make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking
  • Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call
  • Take care if you're wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily
  • Don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration
 More advice: http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/cookingFireSafety.shtml


No comments:

Post a Comment