At 12.56, crews were called to Havelock Road in Brighton, at 14.07 firefighters attended a home in Croft Terrace in Hastings and at 16.41 crews were sent to a fire at an address on Lewes Road in Chelwood Gate.
At all the incidents, firefighters used a specialist chimney kit to fight the fires. There are no reports of injuries.
There are some simple steps you can take to avoid having a chimney fire.
Ensure your chimney is swept regularly
Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
- Wood - quarterly when in use
- Oil once a year
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer)
Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
Ensure good quality fuel is used
Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
More advice can be found here: http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml