A chimney kit was used by firefighters to tackle an incident in Bexhill yesterday (26th February).
Two crews were mobilised to Mount Idol View, at 3.50pm, following reports of smoke issuing from the house.
The chimney fire was extinguished using the kit.
In light of a spate of similar type incidents East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is urging the public to follow chimney fire prevention tips:
- Ensure your chimney is swept regularly
- Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
o Smokeless fuels - at least once a year.
o Bitumous coal - at least twice a year.
o Wood - quarterly when in use.
o Oil once a year.
o Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer).
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained.
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Ensure good quality fuel is used.
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks.
Full safety details can be found on our website http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml but it is important to remember the following to ensure your safety: