Monday, 9 March 2015

Safety advice to prevent chimney fires



Residents are being reminded to have their chimney checked regularly, following two incidents over the weekend.

Firefighters from East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were sent to a property in Horsebridge Road, Hailsham, on Saturday (7th March) at 7.43pm, following reports of a chimney fire. Following a close inspection, there was no fire located.

Meanwhile, yesterday (8th March) firefighters were mobilised to a chimney fire in Camber Road, East Guldeford, Rye, at 10.26am. The crew used a chimney kit to extinguish the fire.

The Fire Service recommends that chimneys are swept regularly, according to the type of fuel used.

Chimneys and flues should be kept clean and well-maintained, as a preventative measure, and the following safety advice should be followed:

·         Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.

·         Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.

·         Ensure good quality fuel is used.

·         Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks.

Further safety information can be found by visiting our community pages on our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment