Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Training course helps professionals deliver hard hitting road safety workshops to young people

Last week East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service teamed up with Brake, the road safety charity, to deliver a one-day course on road safety for 19 professionals who work with young people. The course took place at Lewes Community Fire Station.

The accredited Engaging Young People course helped driving instructors, firefighters, police and road safety officers get to grips with a wide range of teaching and presentation tools and strategies to use with young people of different ages.

There was also advice, tools and structure delegates need to run high-impact, interactive workshops and activities to get young people on board with road safety and sustainable travel.

The course was based on Brake's Pledge, which provides simple, critical ways everyone can help protect themselves and others on roads, and seeks commitment to these key behaviours. It also qualified delegates to deliver road safety activities in local schools, colleges and youth groups.

Garry Collins, borough commander for Lewes and chair of the Lewes road safety group said:

"Our experience of attending crashes or working with victims is unique and puts us in a good place to explain to young people the reality of crashes. By getting involved with Brake we can have a bigger impact locally".

Dave Nichols, professional engagement officer for Brake, the road safety charity, said:

"Road crashes remain the biggest cause of disability and death among young people, which is why it`s vital we reach them, whether or not they are drivers themselves, before it`s too late. We are delighted that East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service shares our enthusiasm for road safety and passion to engage young people with this important topic."

Brake's pledge

It's a pledge to do simple things to protect you and people around you, build happier communities, and help save the planet.

Slow
  • Everyone – I'll speak out for slowing down and help drivers understand that the slower they drive, the more chance they have of avoiding a crash and saving a life.
Sober
  • Everyone - I'll plan ahead to make sure I, and anyone I'm with, can get home safely and I'll never get a lift with drink/drug drivers. I'll speak out if someone's about to drive on drink or drugs.
Secure
  • Drivers – I'll make sure everyone in my vehicle is belted up on every journey, and kids smaller than 150cm are in a proper child restraint. I'll choose the safest vehicle I can and ensure it's maintained.
  • Everyone – I'll belt up on every journey, and make sure friends and family do too.
Silent
  • Everyone – I'll never chat on the phone to someone else who's driving.
Sharp
  • Everyone – I'll look out for friends and loved ones by ensuring they only drive if they're fit for it, and rest if they're tired.
Sustainable
  • Everyone – I'll minimise the amount I drive, or not drive at all. I'll get about by walking, cycling or public transport as much as I can, for road safety, the environment and my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment